Blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad freed after being held for 10 months

first_img RSF_en January 22, 2021 Find out more Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison Organisation News February 1, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Egypt Reporters Without Borders welcomes blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad’s release late yesterday under an amnesty announced on 21 January for around 2,000 civilians who had been convicted by military courts during the past year. Sanad, who had been detained for 10 months on a charge of insulting the armed forces, was freed from Cairo’s Tora prison late in the afternoon.His release was reported on Twitter by his brother, Mark, who said he was weak and tired, and had gone home to rest.“The release of Sanad, the post-Mubarak era’s first prisoner of conscience, is wonderful news for both his family and for all those who campaigned on his behalf,” Reporters Without Borders said. “His release is timely, coming on the eve of the Egyptian revolution’s first anniversary. His only crime was to exercise the fundamental right to free expression, a right often flouted by the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces since the revolution.“The justice system must now overturn his conviction and declare him innocent. The relevant authorities must also be held accountable for his mistreatment and the harassment of his relatives. We will continue to monitor the situation in Egypt closely. On this very symbolic date, 25 January, we urge the authorities to stop using violence and judicial abuse to suppress all forms of criticism and to end the repeated arrests, interrogations and harassment of bloggers, netizens and journalists who criticize the Supreme Council’s record.”When Sanad’s brother, Mark, and members of his support committee went to Tora prison on the morning of 22 January to await his release, they were threatened and dispersed with violence by plainclothes policemen. Mark said the journalist Maikel Adel was physically attacked and taken inside the prison, where guards threatened to kill him.The blogger’s support committee told Reporters Without Borders that Amir Salem, Sanad’s lawyer, has filed a complaint against members of the prison’s staff, accusing them of physically attacking and injuring the blogger’s supporters.Sanad had been detained since 28 March 2011.Egypt plummeted 39 places (from 127th last year to 166th this year) in the press freedom index published today by Reporters Without Borders, because of the attempts by Hosni Mubarak’s government and then the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces to rein in the revolution’s successive phases.Read the press release about the press freedom index for Middle East and North Africa.Video of Sanad’s first statement after his releaseRead Reporters Without Borders previous press releases about Maikel Nabil Sanad Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Receive email alerts EgyptMiddle East – North Africa center_img News Help by sharing this information to go further Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff January 25, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad freed after being held for 10 months February 6, 2021 Find out more News News EgyptMiddle East – North Africa last_img read more

Council could lease ghost estate houses

first_imgNewsLocal NewsCouncil could lease ghost estate housesBy admin – March 31, 2011 748 Linkedin Email Facebook WhatsApp SOME houses lying vacant on unfinished estates in the city could be used for social housing, says Cllr Tom Shortt.He told a meeting of Limerick City Council this week that with 3,500 on the city’s waiting housing list, a special case could be put to the Department of the Environment that vacant properties be allocated to the council.“We should be negotiating for the sale or lease of some of these properties – some of them could be used for social housing – we should pursue this,” he urged.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr John Gilligan pointed out that the council did not create the problem of ghost estates.“Water and sewerage is essential but we do not have the capacity to go in and finish all of the estates, but Cllr Ger Fahy said that Waller’s Close, which has 10 houses, requires just “some outside works remaining to be completed“As it is, we have vacant houses there which attract anti-social activity and become targeted”.Cllr Joe Leddin recommended that where there is a genuine problem with the provision of water and sewerage, the estates concerned should be categorised in terms of priority and value of the bonds outstanding, which in many cases, would not cover the costs involved.“We must ensure that we, as a local authority, are not out of pocket on this. Is there, I wonder, any provision for us to go in to these estates and carry out emergency works because as it is, we have people living on building sites, with fencing and hoardings torn down, and one unfinished estate has no bond – I thought this was essential to secure planning permission”.center_img Twitter Print Advertisement Previous articlePlea to bulldoze Hyde Road ‘eyesore’Next articleThomond Park to miss out on Inter Milan adminlast_img read more