Communities in fear highlights need for garda stations

first_imgNewsLocal NewsCommunities in fear highlights need for garda stationsBy admin – January 29, 2013 651 Email AS GARDAI withdraw from the talks on a proposed extension to the Croke Park deal, and as fear begins to show throughout the country in light of the murder of det garda Adrian Donohue last week, TD’s, local representatives and the public at large are calling on Minister Alan Shatter to put a halt on the closure of 100 garda stations in Irleand, and six in Limerick.  Willie O’Dea, Fianna Fail TD, has slammed the closure of Mary Street Garda station this week calling it “a dreadful decision by the Government. The fact that this is one of the oldest Garda stations in the country and is located in the heart of a regeneration area, parts of which in the past have been unfortunately associated with gangland activity, makes the decision all the more ludicrous.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Previously, councillor John Gilligan, said that the “garda retreat from the inner city is a worrying development”. Niall Collins, FF spokesperson on Justice has again called on Minister Shatter to “put aside his plan to close the garda stations, to cut resources and to further cut the member numbers. On Budget Day last December, as part of the Garda Consolidations programme, it was announced that districts would be merged and stations would close including six in Limerick. Galbally, Kilfinnane, Castletown/Conyers, Kilmeedy, Tournafoulla and the city centre station at Mary Street. Niall Collins said that; “The Minister sneakily announced this slash and burn on Budget day, hoping it seems that people wouldn’t pay too much attention.  He is sorely mistaken.  Removing the garda presence from our communities on such a large-scale at a time when the rate of burglaries has increased makes absolutely no sense.  The presence of a local garda station, however small, acts as a deterrent to criminals who target vulnerable households. “Limerick has fared one of the worst in Minister Shatter’s hit list. We will have 6 less garda stations and many of our communities will have lost their local station. Minister Shatter countered that; “It is, of course, previous Fianna Fail led Governments which are responsible for the financial disaster that has impacted on the State and has so severely effected the lives of everyone who resides in the State”, adding that it was the previous Government that agreed with the Troika the expenditure reductions and reductions in Garda numbers.“If I were Deputy Niall Collins, I would refrain from making hypocritical comment and engaging in self-serving disingenuous political rhetoric based on the assumption that the general public is suffering from amnesia.  It is time that he acknowledged that it is his Party that is responsible for the position in which we find ourselves”.But as the political football continues to be kicked around, Deputy O’Dea reminded that the fear of gang reprisals and an upsurgance is still very real according to his information. “As I have stated previously, it is my understanding that some of the remnants of the gangs in Limerick are getting together in an attempt to re-establish themselves to their former strength and with the closure of Garda stations like Mary Street combined with the reduction in overall Garda numbers, this could bring the gangland problem right back to where it was a few years ago.“Lets not forget, that it was as a result of long hours of painstaking policing by Gardai, including those based at Mary St, that the problem has thankfully abated in recent times, but as we witnessed with the callous murder of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe in Louth last weekend, gangland crime is a constant threat to society.“Since 2011, Limerick has lost 40 members of An Garda Síochána who have not been replaced and there are no Detective Inspectors at all in the Limerick division and there is a reduction of 18 in the number of Sergeants.”Deputy O’Dea concluded, “The closure of Mary street Garda station is another open invitation from Minister Alan Shatter to potential gangland kingpins to takeover where predecessors left off. The underhand, dishonest way in which these cuts are being foisted upon An Garda Síochána tells us all we need to know about Mr. Shatter and his priorities. At a time when we should be maintaining all Garda stations and Garda strength in Limerick, we are now facilitating criminals to once again potentially gain the upper hand.” Facebook Advertisement Previous articleLimerick models launch new Gathering stampNext articleUL well beaten in Sigerson Cup admincenter_img Twitter Print WhatsApp Linkedinlast_img read more

Katanes Wind-Wave Demonstrator Could Start Producing by 2022

first_imgThe Katanes wind-wave project located off Caithness and  Sutherland in the north of Scotland could deliver first power by 2022, DP Energy and Floating Power Plant, the developers of the project, said.  The companies have decided to proceed to the next stage of the development, having recently completed the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) screening.”We consider Katanes to be a world-leading location for an early-stage development of this technology. This, together with the strengths of the local and national supply chain and the Scottish Government’s commitment to support the offshore energy sector, especially emerging technologies such as floating wind and wave, has led us to this decision,” Simon De Pietro, CEO of DP Energy, said.The developers are now working towards preparing an EIA scoping report, and are evaluating the potential for further development off Scotland’s north coast, De Pietro said.The long-term goal of the two companies is to develop a commercial scale project in staged development steps. Floating Power Plant has developed the P80 wind-wave energy platform, which hosts a single wind turbine ranging from 5MW to 8MW and integrates a wave energy device with a capacity between 2MW and 3.6MW, depending on the wave resource.The technology has been proven by two years of offshore, grid-connected testing in Danish waters, the developers said.”With this decision we are moving towards our first commercial development, based on our patented P80 platform technology,” said Anders Køhler, CEO of Floating Power Plant.”DP Energy is a valued strategic partner and, as it looks now, our technology could be entering construction and be operational on the Katanes site in a 2021-22 timeframe. We plan to take a staged approach with a first demonstrator of up to 3.6 MW wave and 7-8 MW wind power, followed by a further stage with an array of up to ~47 MW.”last_img read more

Super Eagles coordinator backs Mikel on Trabzonspor’s exit

first_imgSuper Eagles coordinator, Patrick Pascal, has thrown his weight behind John Obi Mikel’s decision to leave Trabzonspor amid coronavirus fears. The Turkish Super Lig outfit announced on Tuesday evening the ex-Chelsea player parted ways by mutual consent. This came days after the 32-year-old disclosed he does “not feel comfortable” playing amid the ongoing pandemic while calling on authorities in Turkey to cancel the rest of the season. And Pascal, who is a close source to the ex-Nigeria captain backed the decision. “Mikel values his life more than anything and as he said recently ‘there is more to life than football’. He has achieved and saved a lot, so, it will be silly if he loses all to coronavirus and people who don’t have an idea about his wealth would pounce on it,” Pascal told Goal. “He knows what he wants and in my association with him over the years, he is someone who doesn’t compromise or prioritizes anything over his life. Not even under this deadly virus taking over the world. “Some will not agree with him on this, but let me set the record straight that Mikel is neither playing for money nor fame, but strictly for fun and for the love of the beautiful game. So why will he expose himself to a danger that has killed a lot of people?” When quizzed if the decision was a wise one, since Huseyin Cimsir’s men currently lead the Turkish Super Lig and are on the verge of a seventh league diadem, Pascal replied: “My brother, titles are not won in the grave, only the living does that. Loading… Promoted ContentTop 10 TV Friends Who Used To Be EnemiesBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?10 Legendary Historical Movies You Should SeePortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D Graffiti5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterGorgeous Asian Actresses All Men Are Crazy AboutWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black Holes “At Chelsea, he won the Champions League and other bigger titles, so not winning the Turkish league title is not a big deal. He is not playing for fame, so you don’t expect him to risk his life. “I am 100% in support of him leaving Trabzonspor at this critical period and it’s a very noble decision. Remember, leaving Turkey is not the end of his playing career as he can go elsewhere to play. “I believe him and I trust his judgment and as a young man who has bigger things to accomplish after football, it is safety first.” On what next for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner, the 45-year-old who doubles as chairman of the Bauchi Football Association reveals the midfielder has not drawn the curtain on his illustrious career, thus, he will decide on his next move after the Covid-19 virus is contained. He added: “As it stands, he has not announced his retirement yet, definitely, he is going elsewhere to play football. Read Also:Patrick Pascal advises ex-players to get involved in football administration “Once this coronavirus thing is over, I believe he will disclose to the world where his next club would be.” Mikel joined the Medical Stadium giants as a free agent on a two-year deal last summer, at the end of his brief stint in the Championship with Middlesbrough. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more