Receive email alerts Covid-19 emergency laws spell disaster for press freedom to go further May 12, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Thailand ThailandAsia – Pacific August 21, 2020 Find out more Reporters Without Borders today condemned an attack on Manop Rattanacharungporn of the Matichon daily newspaper, who was shot and badly wounded in the leg on 1 June in the southern province of Phangnga, apparently in reprisal for his reporting on illegal land appropriations in tsuanami-hit areas.At the same time, in a letter to justice minister Suwat Liptapanlop, the press freedom organisation hailed the measures so far taken by the Thai authorities in this case.”The investigation under way must lead to the arrest and trial of both the perpetrators and instigators of this serious press freedom violation,” Reporters Without Borders said.Rattanacharungporn is still hospitalised as a result of the injuries he received when two men fired on him as he was driving home from his plantation at Tambon Natoey. His newspaper believes the attack was prompted by articles he wrote a month before about the illegal acquisition by criminal groups of mangrove areas belonging to the state.The justice minister has ordered an investigation into these irregularities and he inspected the areas concerned on 5 June before visiting Rattanacharungporn in hospital. He also instructed the Department of Special Investigations (DSI) to send a team to the area to pursue the enquiries.Reached by telephone, DSI director general Sombat Amornvivat said Rattanacharungporn is now in the witness protection programme and will be called on to testify in court. He also revealed that some of those involved in the attack have been identified although they have not yet been arrested. News ThailandAsia – Pacific News News June 7, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist shot and wounded after investigating post-tsunami land grabs Organisation Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar News Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years RSF_en Help by sharing this information June 12, 2020 Find out more
WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash WhatsApp Facebook Print TAGSBizWorldDragons DenGaelscoil SáirséalJanesborolimerickOur Lady Queen of PeaceScoil Mhuire National School in Broadford NewsLocal NewsBroadford pupils use body and mind to slay DragonBy Alan Jacques – May 20, 2016 830 Linkedin Twitter Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live A TEAM of fifth class pupils from Scoil Mhuire National School in Broadford entered the ‘Dragon’s Den’ with a board game that gives both the mind and body a workout to claim first prize in this years BizFactor student enterprise competition.Young entrepreneurs Daragh Lynch, Jack Cremin, Muireann O’Callaghan, Hannah Cremin, Yvonne Stack and Sinead Reidy had participated in a BizWorld workshop earlier this year and were selected to participate in the national finals because of the high quality of their ‘Body and Mind’ idea.The Broadford students pitched their idea ‘Dragon’s Den’ style to a judging panel of high-profile figures from the world’s of enterprise and education including entrepreneur and investor on the RTÉ television show Gavin Duffy.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “’Mind and Body’ is a shining example of a creative business idea, and the BizFactor judges were clearly impressed with how the Broadford team developed their business and presented their pitch,” said BizWorld Ireland chief executive Fiona McKeon.“The pupils who participated in the competition demonstrate all the characteristics of future business leaders: they are naturally curious and are bursting with ideas, imagination and creativity. Clearly, primary school is an ideal time to get children thinking about entrepreneurship and to start equipping them with relevant skills so that, in the future, they might take the courageous decision to start their own business,” she added.The competition was organised by BizWorld Ireland, the not-for-profit organisation that delivers free workshops to primary schools where pupils learn enterprise skills by developing a business idea and taking it from company formation to marketing to final accounts.Limerick was well represented at the competition with teams from Our Lady Queen of Peace, Janesboro and Gaelscoil Sáirséal also participating.by Alan [email protected] RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Previous articleSAFE jump to international platform via Cannes and Crypt TVNext articlePolish man converted Limerick houses to grow cannabis Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Email Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live
Chicago Police Dept.(CHICAGO) — A Chicago judge set Jesse Smollett’s bond at $100,000 on Thursday and ordered him to surrender his passport, hours after a remarkable Chicago Police Department press conference in which Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson blasted the ‘Empire’ star, saying that Smollett’s alleged staging of a hoax attack was a “publicity stunt…to promote his career.”Standing before Cook County Circuit Court Judge John Fitzgerald Lyke, Jr., Smollett appeared to remain steadfast in his refutation of the charge against him. He has repeatedly insisted that the attack was real and that he was merely a victim, not a perpetrator.When first assistant state attorney Risa Lanier told Lyke that the actor had picked up two brothers who authorities say carried out the staged attack on him at his direction and showed them the location of where he wanted to be attacked, Smollett shook his head in disagreement.When Lyke told Smollett that the allegations, if true, are “utterly outrageous,” the actor nodded his head in agreement — doing so again when Lyke said the noose detail would be the most despicable part of the alleged scheme.The judge also ordered pre-trial monitoring of the actor, and ordered him to stay away from the two brothers he allegedly conspired with to stage the hoax attack, according to police.The tense courtroom appearance followed on the heels of a morning press conference at which a visibly angry Johnson castigated the actor for betraying his race and his city with such an incendiary false claim.“Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career,” a visibly angry Johnson said. “I am left hanging my head asking ‘why?’. Why would anyone, especially an African-American man, use the symbolism of a noose to make false accusations? … How can an individual who’s been embraced by the city of Chicago turn around and slap everyone in the city in the face with these false claims?”Johnson charged that Smollett, an actor on the hit show ‘Empire’ who has consistently denied any role in staging the alleged attack, orchestrated it because he was “dissatisfied with his salary.”In addition to staging the attack, officials said, Smollett also sent himself a hate-filled letter to the Fox studio where the hit show is filmed.Smollett turned himself in at 5:15 a.m. local time and made a statement to police before being taken into custody. His lawyers, Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson, were not present at the time but they released a statement the night before.“Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense.”BacklashPolice add that Smollett gave no statement to police after turning himself in and that his lawyers had reached out to them Wednesday night to discuss his surrender. Smollett wanted to turn himself in near midnight, but authorities suggested he come in at 5 a.m. instead, to avoid spending the night in jail. Smollett arrived early Thursday morning accompanied by a female lawyer and an entourage of five or six people.Smollett was silent as he went through the motions of being booked and processed.By late morning on Thursday, the backlash against the actor began at the top, with an angry tweet from the President of the United States.“[email protected] – what about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous comments!? #MAGA” President Donald Trump wrote in a tweet after the press conference.In an earlier interview with ABC News, Smollett was asked why he thought he was targeted and he replied that he is a strident critic of the Trump administration.“I come really really hard against 45,” he said. referring to Trump, the 45th U.S. president. “I come really really hard against his administration, and I don’t hold my tongue.”‘I’m offended’During a press briefing later Thursday morning, Chicago law enforcement officials said that Chicago police detectives interviewed more than 100 people and reviewed dozens of police cameras trying to get to the bottom of Smollett’s claims.Johnson, a well-regarded and popular big city police chief and Chicago native, appeared genuinely aggrieved as he described how, he said, Smollett took advantage of the pain of racism to advance his career.“Why would anyone use the symbol of a noose” to further his “own public profile,” Johnson wondered aloud.“I’m offended by what happened and I’m angry,” Johnson continued. “This publicity stunt was a scar that Chicago didn’t own and certainly didn’t deserve.”Johnson, who oversees one of the nation’s largest police departments in one of its most violent cities, seemed disheartened by all the attention paid to the Smollett affair.“The accusation within this phony attack received national attention for weeks,” Johnson told reporters during a press conference. “Celebrities, news commentators and even presidential candidates weighed in on something that was choreographed by an actor.”“When you get the opportunity,” he said with a mixture of derision and frustration, “the shooting victims and their families? Give them the same amount of attention.” After the press briefing, 20th Century Fox, the station that airs “Empire,” released a statement which read, “We understand the seriousness of this matter and we respect the legal process. We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”‘Self-inflicted’ woundsSmollett told police he was attacked by two masked men near his apartment in Chicago. The two men, Smollett initially said, shouted racist and homophobic slurs at him as a rope was wrapped around his neck and a chemical compound was poured on him. The alleged assailants yelled “MAGA country,” a reference to President Donald Trump’s “Make American Great Again” slogan, police were told.In an interview with “Good Morning America” anchor Robin Roberts, Smollett said he was heartbroken when he found out that people questioned his story.Asked why he would leave the rope draped around his neck until police arrived because he “wanted them to see.”“I was looking at myself, just like checking myself out,” he told Roberts. “I saw the bruise on my neck, you know, like the little — the rope burn around my neck. So when the police came I kept the clothes on, I kept the rope on me. … I mean, it wasn’t, like, wrapped around. But, yeah, it was around because I wanted them to see.”Asked why he wait until the second interview to tell police that the assailants yelled “MAGA country” at him during the attack, Smollett seemed to take offense at the insinuation.“For me, the main thing was the idea that I somehow switched up my story, you know? And that somehow maybe I added a little extra trinket, you know, of the MAGA thing,” Smollett said on ABC News. “I didn’t need to add anything like that. They called me a f—-, they called me a n—-. There’s no which way you cut it.”‘Chicago trusted this young man’Johnson said on Thursday that Smollett’s seeming injuries from the incident also appeared to be phony.“The brothers had on gloves during the staged attack where they — they punched him a little bit, but as far as we can tell, the scratches and bruising that you saw on his face was most likely self-inflicted.”Police identified and questioned two “persons of interest” captured on surveillance video near the scene around the time of the alleged attack. The men, who are brothers, were arrested on Feb. 13 but then released without charges, with police saying they were no longer considered suspects.While being questioned by investigators, the brothers claimed that Smollett paid them to help orchestrate and stage the crime after he became upset that a letter threatening him, sent Jan. 22 to the Fox studio where “Empire” is filmed, did not get enough attention, sources told ABC News.On Wednesday, Smollett was charged with felony disorderly conduct for filing a false crime report. By that evening, police officially had classified the actor as a suspect in the ongoing investigation. Detectives subsequently presented evidence to a Cook County grand jury.“That was a pretty hateful allegation, and it really put a terrible look on Chicago,” Guglielmi told ABC Chicago station WLS in a telephone interview Thursday morning. “Chicago trusted this young man. We loved ‘Empire,’ and we took this very seriously that something this hateful could happen in our city.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.