Watch: World’s largest aircraft touches down at Shannon Airport with largest…

first_imgLinkedin Print Facebook “We’re delighted to play our part, we have stayed open here to ensure we can facilitate cargo coming in like this with vital PPE for the health services,” she said.Pointing to the almost 70 aircraft parked up at the airport, Ms Considine noted in what is a “tough time for aviation” the arrival of the Antonov AN-225 created “great excitement about the place”.Niall Moloney, Shannon Airport’s Director of Airport Operations highlighted Shannon Airport staff “have been working on the front line ensuring the safe arrival of PPE cargo flights since the start of the crisis”.“It’s an incredible aircraft and when you see ut in the taxiway here it dwarfs anything else on the airfield. When you take its enormous size into perspective, it’s almost unbelievable that it can get up into the skies, let alone be as graceful when ut’s up there,” he said. WhatsApp Email Advertisement NewsHealthVideoWatch: World’s largest aircraft touches down at Shannon Airport with largest single delivery of PPE into IrelandBy Cian Reinhardt – June 10, 2020 4006 Twitter The Antonov AN-225 carrying PPE for Ireland. Photo: Cian ReinhardtThe world’s largest aircraft, Antonov AN-225 touched down at Shannon Airport at approximately 2pm today carrying the largest consignment of Personal Protective Equipment to be flown into Ireland on a single flight.Carrying almost 900,000 medical gowns for distribution in Ireland, it is second plane carrying PPE to arrive in Shannon Airport in the past few days, the last being a Boeing 737 which arrived on Monday, June 8.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Shannon Group CEO, Mary Considine told the Limerick Post the 3.2-kilometre runway is something “we are very proud of, and we love to see it used”.With the longest runway in Ireland, Shannon Airport is the only facility capable of taking in the 276 foot Antonov AN-225 aircraft. Previous articleSpike Lee’s editor to deliver editing workshop for local filmmakersNext article€6.5bn business support package must be reallocated or SME’s will become the nursing homes of the economy Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected]last_img read more

Hall miss chance to shock Keble

first_imgON a wet and windy afternoon, spectators who braved the conditions were treated to an extremely physical encounter between the increasingly dominant Keble and a dogged Hall side, Keble running out 14-7 winners to continue their unbeaten run. Keble entered the game as league champions and, fielding an unchanged side, were definite favourites to beat a Hall outfit that had just avoided relegation. To make matters worse for the Teddies, they were also without their injured iconic captain Phil Satterthwaite, meaning that they were forced to to concede five points and play with uncontested scrums. Starting 5-0 down, Hall were eager to get early points. After a scrum on their opponents’ twenty-two, fly half Harold Buchanan fed the all-American Marc Wayshak in midfield who ploughed through two tackles to score under the posts. The try was converted to make it 7-5 and give Teddy Hall an early, morale-boosting lead. Keble then began to get into the game, playing simple but effective rugby, with good ball retention. The Hall defence held strong, but was eventually forced into conceding two penalties which were duly kicked by fly Half Peter Bolton to regain the lead for the home side, making it 11-7. Late in the first half, a poor kick from Keble that failed to find touch was seized upon by Tom Theodore, who glided through the home side’s defence and fed Wayshak on the right wing. With the try line at Hall’s mercy, the last pass failed to go to hand and was fly hacked into touch to the sound of the half-time whistle. The second period was played out in a similar vein to the first. Early Keble pressure led to another penalty, again converted by Bolton, but they were unable to threaten the Hall try line. Hall’s defence was ferocious, with back rowers Patrick Cooper and Dusan Uhrin stopping the Keble forwards on the gain line. However, the Teddies simply did not take their chances in attack: four clean line breaks were made in the second half which were not turned into points. Keble’s basic but controlled rugby eventually held on, and they emerged deserving winners at 4-7 thanks to Hall’s lack of clinical finishing. After the game Keble captain Max Cole was happy with the result saying ‘We’ve come away with a win, and that’s all that really matters’. Hall captain Satterthwaite, after having to watch the game from the sidelines, called his side’s performance a ‘defensive masterclass’ and rued Hall’s missed chances. A solid but unconvincing win by Keble should set them up to win this second league with reasonable ease whilst Hall, having produced their most spirited performance of the year, will know that if they can turn breaks into points they can, and should, finish in the top half of the table, instead of fighting relegation yet again.last_img read more