Cllr hits out over Irish Water’s refusal to meet with him

first_img Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Google+ Harps come back to win in Waterford Previous articleNW projects urged to apply to Regional Enterprise Development fundNext articleGilchrist extends stay at Derry City News Highland Twitter Facebook Facebook WhatsApp FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 AudioHomepage BannerNews Pinterest By News Highland – September 12, 2019 center_img Twitter WhatsApp Pinterest RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Cllr hits out over Irish Water’s refusal to meet with him DL Debate – 24/05/21 News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Google+ A West Donegal Councillor has hit out at Irish Water as he claims the utility has refused to meet with himCouncillor Micheal Cholm MacGiolla Easbuig says people living in Magheraroarty, Glasserchoo, Meenaclady, Derryconor, Curransport and Meenlaragh are frequently going days without water due to bursts in the area.He says he has requested representatives from Irish Water, several times, to carry out a site visit at the local treatment plant.Councillor MacGiolla Easbuig says the situation is no longer acceptable:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/micheal5pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.In response, Irish Water say they have not received a formal request for a meeting with any elected representative about bursts in Co Donegal.The utility say they held a briefing about the Falcarragh/Gortahork leakage reduction programme works last Friday in Falcarragh where the issue of bursts was raised.They say it is their intention to provide accurate and up-to-date responses to any queries raised by elected representative as quickly as possible. Important message for people attending LUH’s INR cliniclast_img read more

Ronald Acuna Jr. offends Pirates’ TV crew by being himself

first_imgThis is the second time in a week that a Pirates analyst went all “Get off my lawn” about an opposing player. John Wehner, who is one of the Bucs’ color commentators along with Blass and Bob Walk, ripped Reds infielder Derek Dietrich for pimping home runs (seven of his 16 homers this season have come against the Bucs) and getting excited about good plays.Wehner said that Dietrich’s grandfather, former major leaguer Steve Demeter, is “rolling in his grave every time (Dietrich) hits a home run.”Blass, 77, is retiring from broadcasting after the season. His pitching career ended prematurely in the mid-1970s when he lost the ability to throw the ball over the plate. He was also a Pirates teammate of Roberto Clemente “back in the day.” Clemente had to deal with similar comments from writers and announcers. Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. is a magnet for inside fastballs — and, it seems, announcers who hate how he plays.Tuesday in Pittsburgh, Pirates analyst Steve Blass made a point to comment on Acuna’s jewelry, which came out from inside Acuna’s jersey after he took a big swing. On the next pitch, Bucs pitcher Steve Brault hit Acuna in the left elbow with a heater.  As Blass and play-by-play announcer Greg Brown viewed the replay, Blass mentioned that hitters who played with Acuna’s swagger “back in the day” would have received similar treatment. Brown said he didn’t believe Brault’s pitch was intentional, and Blass agreed. There’s a question over whether Blass called the 21-year-old Acuna a “prick” toward the end of the clip.The Pirates’ broadcast is pretty gross when talking about Ronald Acuña Jr: pic.twitter.com/yD7GJgfP5b— Max Wildstein (@MaxWildstein) June 5, 2019MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZN Acuna has been hit by pitches five times in 2019, to go with six HBPs as a rookie last year. The best-known plunking came last August when Marlins pitcher Jose Urena drilled Acuna with a high-90s fastball, sparking a benches-clearing incident. Acuna was forced to leave the game. MLB suspended Urena for six games for the pitch.last_img read more

Travel nightmare: U.S. Customs system goes down

first_imgHave a flight to catch tonight? Well you may be in for a longer wait time than usual.Sources are reporting that due to a failure in the U.S Customs computer system, several airports around the US are experiencing difficulties with checking people in.Airport employees are now being forced to manually check in guest which is resulting in extremely long wait times.While it is unclear what caused the system to go down, TMZ is reporting that some sources believe that it may be the result of a cyber attack. This working theory, however, has not been confirmed.JFK, LAX and Dulles are just some of the airports being affected.JFK has since released a statement informing passengers of the outage and asking them to check their flights before coming to the airport.“Officers are processing passengers manually so please check with your airline for the latest status of any flight impacts.”This is a developing story.Read more here.last_img read more

Southbound lanes of I-95 shut down in Boynton due to semi truck accident

first_imgAll southbound lanes of I-95 in Boynton Beach have been shut down due to an accident involving a jackknifed semi truck.The accident occurred near the Gateway Blvd exit Friday afternoon, and is causing southbound traffic to be backed up for several miles.It is unclear what caused the accident or whether any of the involved parties are injured.Crews are currently on the scene working to remove the truck but say it may take some time. Officials are urging drivers who are traveling south on I-95 to exit before Gateway Blvd.last_img read more

Nate Boyer, Former Seattle Seahawk and Green Beret, Delivering Social Justice…

first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Saint Martin’s UniversityWHAT: Nate Boyer, former Seattle Seahawk and Green Beret, will present a discussion about athletics, military service, social justice and the influence behind Colin Kaepernick’s decision to kneel for the national anthem.WHO: Boyer is a former active-duty Green Beret, a philanthropist, community leader and a professional athlete as a former member of the Seattle Seahawks. After joining the US Army in 2005, Boyer became a Green Beret in December 2006. He was stationed in Okinawa throughout most of 2007 with 1st Special Forces Group. In April 2008, he was deployed with ODA 0324 10th Special Forces Group to Iraq and served his tour of duty until January of 2009. He then served tours in Afghanistan from April to August 2013 (Special Operations Joint Task Force-Afghanistan) and from April to August 2014 (ODA 3116 3rd Special Forces Group). In addition to his deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, Boyer completed a number of JCET (Joint Command Exchange Training) Missions to Israel (2009), Bulgaria (2011), and Greece (2012). A five-year player for the Texas Longhorns, Boyer served as the No. 1 long snapper on PAT/FGs his last three seasons and also handled punt-snapping duties during 2013-14. He played in 39 career games. In 2012 Boyer received the Disney Spirit Award at the ESPN College Football Awards, which is given to the most inspirational figure in college football. In 2013 the National Football Foundation awarded him with the coveted Legacy Award.Boyer’s non-profit, Merging Vets with Players (MVP) creates opportunities for veterans to work out with former NFL players and find common ground to discuss next steps in their lives.WHEN: Thursday, September 20, 7:00 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.WHERE: Saint Martin’s University Norman Worthington Conference Center, 5300 Pacific Avenue SE, Lacey, WA 98503Saint Martin’s University is an independent, four-year, coeducational university located on a wooded campus of more than 300 acres in Lacey, Washington. Established in 1895 by the Catholic Order of Saint Benedict, the University is one of 13 Benedictine colleges and universities in the United States and Canada, and the only one west of the Rocky Mountains. Saint Martin’s University prepares students for successful lives through its 27 majors and ten graduate programs spanning the liberal arts, business, education, nursing and engineering. Saint Martin’s welcomes more than 1,300 undergraduate students and 250 graduate students from many ethnic and religious backgrounds to its Lacey campus, and more students to its extended campus located at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Visit the Saint Martin’s University website at www.stmartin.edu.last_img read more

Fate of Marine Park Aired

first_imgRED BANK – The public was given its turn to ask questions about the fate of the site of the now unusable clay tennis courts on Union Street next to Marine Park at a special Borough Council meeting May 28. Now the decision about which plan will be chosen will be made by the governing body.The questions and suggestions from the audience of around 120, lasted almost three hours and only ended because the meeting was closed by Councilwoman Linda Schwabenbauer.First up was Rumson resident James P. Cullen, who has offered to donate $500,000 to the town, of which $400,000 would be used to rebuild the clay courts that were damaged by Sandy, and $100,000 to operate and maintain them.The Jetsun Enterprises proposal includes a year round ice skating rink, a miniature golf course, boat rental facilities, a visitors center for the borough and a free electric shuttle that would pick up people throughout the town.The third proposal was presented by Marine Park Activity Center, a local group formed to increase the recreational use of the river by local residents.The plan to save the clay courts presented by Cullen would be free to borough seniors and those up to 17 years old at selected times.“I think you have a unique landmark with a great history,” Cullen said of the courts. He said he would like to see a program that encourages young people in the town to play tennis.The plan sets discounted rates of $150 for unlimited play for borough residents while non-residents would pay $300. Half of the fees would go to the borough.Jeff Podesta spoke in favor of Cullen’s plan and said that playing tennis was an advantage to young people and research had shown that 81 percent of young tennis players had gone on to college.The proposal for retaining the tennis courts said, “A key to the project is retaining Rich Nicoletti who has been keeping the facility running in recent years with essentially no operating budget.”It also said that there be a free, two-week tennis clinic held only for Red Bank residents’ ages 7 to 17.A small committee, the proposal said, would represent the tennis court facility that would oversee it and would present any plans for changes to the Borough Council.“Almost everyone who has grown up playing tennis in the United States has done so on hard courts. However when they first get a chance to play on red clay, they realize it is a very special experience. Our goal here is to give the young people of Red Bank this experience,” the proposal said.The borough would receive 50 percent of moneys raised through fundraising and a yearly tournament the proposal said, which it estimated to raise $50,000 to $60,000.Stephen Hecht said, “I don’t believe we should have a tennis club” at the site. He asked Cullen if he “would be willing to have the town run it?” referring to the courts.“I’m open to that,” Cullen replied.The Jetson plan calls for a “multi-use recreation center” which would have a goal “to get people down to the waterfront, and have a reason to stay there.”It said, “We firmly believe family recreation is the only appropriate use of this valuable asset.”Fees for the activities listed in the plan were $9 for the miniature golf course for adults, with children 12 and under paying $8 and $6 for the ice skating rink with a two-for-one on Tuesdays.Borough residents over 65 and under 4, accompanied by an adult, will have free admission for those activities.Watersport rentals will range from $20 an hour to $80 for eight hours.The Jetson group will pay the borough $75,000 a year rent for the property according to its proposal, with a 25-year lease.Fred Stone questioned the fees and said they might exclude some borough residents from using the facilities. The fees, he said, “might not be trivial,” for some.Questions were also raised about the extra traffic that could be caused by the facility.Some residents who lived near Marine Park expressed concern that the complex would bring late night noise and litter on the streets.Others asked how the town could be assured the venture would succeed, since the partners had not had experience in managing a similar facility.Chris Paseka said he was in favor of the plan since now there was nothing in the town to do with children but “shop and eat.”Others felt differently.“Why would you want to do this to this town?” Shelley Davimos asked. She urged the council to go with the Cullen plan “Take his money, take his money please.”Sandra Talarico, speaking for the Marine Park Activity Center, said the group believed “the town now has a tremendous opportunity to use the riverside property to create a maritime center that expands the recreational opportunities on the river and becomes a focus of recreation education, and commerce for Red Bank.”She described the activities of the Navesink River Rowing group and the Navesink Maritime Heritage Association and said the proposed facility would allow for the expansion of these programs as well as additional ones.Among the activities proposed were adaptive boating, where existing boats are modified for participants who are physically challenged can take part in rowing and sailing programs, rowing, canoeing and small craft sailing as an in-school or after school physical education program, programs for older citizens to keep them active, and rentals that are affordable for kayaks, canoes and paddleboats to allow families and visitors to enjoy the river.In response to questions about a 20,000-square-foot building in the plan, Talarico said it was included because after reading the request for proposals from the town it was thought that the borough was seeking revenues. She said her group was seeking not-for-profit status.Their proposal calls for a 15-year-lease from the borough with terms “based on the gradual implementation of revenue producing programs after five years, and fees based on a percentage of revenue generated by programs and the facility thereafter…”Those who want to comment on the three proposals can do so on the borough’s website where the proposals can be read. They can also be submitted to the Office of the Administrator, 90 Monmouth Street, Red Bank, NJ 07701– By Liz Sheehanlast_img read more