Previous articleFormer Killaloe doctor acquitted of deceptionNext articleReal time bus information due in new year admin Email Advertisement Facebook Twitter Linkedin GARDAI investigating the murder of Robert Sheehan, have arrested a 59-year-old man in connection with the fatal shooting of the 21-year-old outside a Bunratty hotel last September.The man from the northside of Limerick city was arrested as gardai intensify their investigations into the murder of the young man who had previous convictions and was shot in the early hours of September 2 outside the hotel where he was attending a relatives wedding.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Shannon gardai are holding the 59-year old man on a charge of conspiracy to murder after two Limerick men were arrested, questioned and released two weeks ago in the Clare area.A detention period of seven days is allowed before gardaí must charge or release the 59-year-old.The investigation, which is ongoing, saw up to 100 gardai deployed to find his masked killers after a gun and discharged ammunition were found in open ground near the scene. Over 300 statements have been taken.The family of Robert Sheehan appealed for calm in the wake of the shooting.Sheehan was known to gardai for a number of minor offences, but was convicted of endangerment when Gavin and Millie Murray suffered horrific injuries when their car was petrol bombed. At the trial, the court heard that two other teens, who prepared the bomb, fled the scene while Robert Sheehan stayed and pulled both of the youngsters from the inferno. The 21-year-old, who was 15 at the time of the incident was sentenced to two years detention in St Patrick’s Institution in 2007 while two others, John Mitchell and Jonathon O’Dnnoghue, both 18 at the time were sentenced to seven and eight years respectively.Sheehan was gunned down outside the hotel after he left briefly left the celebrations.Gardai believed the murder may have been connected to a stabbing incident last July in Moyross. They also believe that the gunman and other accomplices may have fled the country since the murder.Shannon Gardai are continuing with their investigation into what they believe is a revenge killing. NewsLocal NewsMan detained over Sheehan murderBy admin – December 17, 2012 1521 Print WhatsApp
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – Cricket West Indies (CWI) has not received any recommendations for the award of new central contracts for the coming year, chief executive Johnny Grave has said.Attempting to put to rest speculation on social media that West Indies Test vice-captain Kraigg Brathwaite had not been issued a retainer, Grave said CWI had not yet approved a list for the new period starting July 1.“The Board is waiting on the recommendations from the Financial Strategy Advisory Committee before deciding on when new contracts will be issued,” the Englishman told Barbados Today online here.“All current contracts expire on the 30th of June 2020, with new contracts due to start on July 1.”A social media post from a senior Barbados Cricket Association official earlier this week sparked debate over Brathwaite’s future, especially in light of his poor form with the bat over the last 18 months.The obdurate right-hander, the most senior player in the current squad with 59 Tests, has averaged 12 in his 10 Tests dating back to 2018.He also struggled in the recent domestic first class championship, garnering just 468 runs at an average of 33, without a single hundred, and three half-centuries from 15 innings.In fact, Brathwaite averaged 25 at the start of the eighth and final round but struck 48 and an unbeaten 84 against deposed champions Guyana Jaguars, to improve his record for the season.The 27-year-old Brathwaite, who made his debut as a 19-year-old nine years ago, has emerged as West Indies’ leading opener but has now seen his Test average plummet to a modest 33.Grave said under CWI policy, senior team players not awarded an international contract would not be left in the cold.“If any international contracted players lose their contract, they are automatically offered a grade A contract for the next year, which is the highest level franchise contract,” Grave explained.A similar situation arose four years ago when Darren Bravo rejected an international contract, after being downgraded to a ‘C’ grade retainer.At the time, then CWI president Dave Cameron rejected seniority as a basis for the award of high-grade contracts, pointing out that it was up to players to determine their contract based on the quality of performance.“All we are saying is that you write your own contract. At the start of the season you are told what averages you need to have, volume of runs, volume of wickets, behaviours, whatever. It’s up to you,” Cameron had said at the height of the Bravo controversy.