RSF_en January 22, 2021 Find out more Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison Organisation News February 1, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Egypt Reporters Without Borders welcomes blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad’s release late yesterday under an amnesty announced on 21 January for around 2,000 civilians who had been convicted by military courts during the past year. Sanad, who had been detained for 10 months on a charge of insulting the armed forces, was freed from Cairo’s Tora prison late in the afternoon.His release was reported on Twitter by his brother, Mark, who said he was weak and tired, and had gone home to rest.“The release of Sanad, the post-Mubarak era’s first prisoner of conscience, is wonderful news for both his family and for all those who campaigned on his behalf,” Reporters Without Borders said. “His release is timely, coming on the eve of the Egyptian revolution’s first anniversary. His only crime was to exercise the fundamental right to free expression, a right often flouted by the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces since the revolution.“The justice system must now overturn his conviction and declare him innocent. The relevant authorities must also be held accountable for his mistreatment and the harassment of his relatives. We will continue to monitor the situation in Egypt closely. On this very symbolic date, 25 January, we urge the authorities to stop using violence and judicial abuse to suppress all forms of criticism and to end the repeated arrests, interrogations and harassment of bloggers, netizens and journalists who criticize the Supreme Council’s record.”When Sanad’s brother, Mark, and members of his support committee went to Tora prison on the morning of 22 January to await his release, they were threatened and dispersed with violence by plainclothes policemen. Mark said the journalist Maikel Adel was physically attacked and taken inside the prison, where guards threatened to kill him.The blogger’s support committee told Reporters Without Borders that Amir Salem, Sanad’s lawyer, has filed a complaint against members of the prison’s staff, accusing them of physically attacking and injuring the blogger’s supporters.Sanad had been detained since 28 March 2011.Egypt plummeted 39 places (from 127th last year to 166th this year) in the press freedom index published today by Reporters Without Borders, because of the attempts by Hosni Mubarak’s government and then the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces to rein in the revolution’s successive phases.Read the press release about the press freedom index for Middle East and North Africa.Video of Sanad’s first statement after his releaseRead Reporters Without Borders previous press releases about Maikel Nabil Sanad Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Receive email alerts EgyptMiddle East – North Africa News Help by sharing this information to go further Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff January 25, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Blogger Maikel Nabil Sanad freed after being held for 10 months February 6, 2021 Find out more News News EgyptMiddle East – North Africa
Food & DiningHealthLifestyle A 1-day plan to get back on track for weight loss by: – August 25, 2014 Share Share Sharing is caring! Share Tweet 183 Views no discussions There are times, like after a food-filled vacation or a big holiday, when I feel like my typically healthy diet needs a bit of a refresh. Instead of skipping meals, feeling guilty or drastically cutting calories—habits that can be detrimental to your health—try making some small changes to each meal to get back on track without a diet overhaul. Here’s a daily plan with tricks for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that will save some calories and help you get right back on track.BreakfastI always start my day with a healthy breakfast—but when I’m trying to restart my healthy habits, I use a few tricks to cut calories without missing out on any of my favorites. My first trick is swapping my typical two pieces of whole-wheat bread for one whole-wheat English muffin to save about 35 calories. That’s not a huge savings on its own, but if I also use slightly less peanut butter on my toast and use low-fat milk instead of cream in my coffee, I can save about 100 calories without feeling deprived. Another sneaky trick to use at breakfast: have a slightly smaller portion of oatmeal or cereal (e.g., downsizing from a ½ cup to 1/3 cup of oats) and bulk up your bowl with more fruit.LunchIf a sandwich is on the menu, swap the mayo for mustard and ditch the top slice of bread (making both switches can save about 180 calories). Pile on plenty of veggies like lettuce, tomato slices and cucumbers to add bulk for very few calories. (Added bonus: a large piece of lettuce is a great stand-in for a missing slice of bread.) Eating a sandwich that’s loaded with veggies and has only a small amount of meat or cheese can be a good lunch choice.Or, opt for a hearty salad, The key to making a satisfying salad without a lot of calories is to start with about two cups of greens (I like baby spinach), then add lots of colorful vegetables, such as diced cucumbers, bell peppers and artichoke hearts. Next, add a source of lean protein (which will help keep you full), like beans, grilled chicken or tuna (hold the mayo). Include a small serving of healthy whole-grain carbs, such as quinoa or a whole-wheat pita on the side—the fiber will also help you feel fuller longer. Finally, add a little bit of dressing for flavor—no more than two tablespoons. (But don’t skip it altogether, since the fat in the dressing helps your body absorb nutrients from your salad.)SnackYou can—and should—still enjoy snacks on a day where you’re trying to eat fewer calories. If you choose wisely, snacks can help you manage your hunger and pack lots of nutrients into your day without adding too many calories. I use my snacks as an opportunity to pump up my intake of fruits and veggies, so I’ll have celery sticks with a little peanut butter, or blueberries with a dollop of plain yogurt. Snacking on fiber-filled produce with a bit of protein (nuts, hummus, low-fat cheese) is a pairing that can help fill you up until your next meal. If you’re craving something crunchy and savory, munch on popcorn instead of chips. Three cups of air-popped popcorn can save you about 75 calories over a snack-size bag of chips.DinnerWhen I’m minding calories and still want to feel satisfied, I turn to low-calorie veggies to bulk up a meal. Try swapping mashed cauliflower for potatoes (cup for cup, cauliflower saves 90 calories), or use spaghetti squash in place of pasta (to save 130 calories per cup). I usually aim to fill half my dinner plate with vegetables, then round out the meal with a serving of lean protein (think salmon or tofu). A whole-grain side like farro or brown rice can round out the meal and provide additional fiber, which, like protein, helps fill you up.DessertIf you’re still hankering for something extra at the end of the day, you don’t have to deprive yourself. And in fact, you shouldn’t: small treats may actually help you stick to your weight-loss goals. Try a small piece of dark chocolate or a 100-calorie sweet treat.A day like this one allows you to eat lots of delicious food while still cutting calories to get back on track to losing weight. Incorporating these swaps throughout the day can add up to a 500-calorie savings, which over the course of a week can help you lose about 1 pound.Healthy Living
Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info
Approximately 10 USC students gathered in front of Tommy Trojan Monday to protest the recent raise in tuition for next semester. Demonstrators held signs and repeatedly chanted the phrase, “Nikias step off it, put students over profit.”This protest is the latest in a series of events held in response to USC recently raising its tuition from $49,464 to $51,422, which raises the overall estimated cost of attendance to $69,711 for the 2016-2017 school year. Another rally protesting tuition hikes was held at Tommy Trojan on March 7 and a banner saying “Stop USC Tuition Hikes” was dropped in the Ronald Tutor Campus Center on Wednesday.Event organizer Nadja Barlera, a junior majoring in English, said that these protests are continuing because students feel that the administration hasn’t been listening to their voices. Barlera specifically pointed to the lack of university response to an Undergraduate Student Government resolution as well as a student-organized petition with more than 850 signatures that both called for a tuition freeze as one of the main reason for the recent protests.“The administration hasn’t really responded to any of our demands from the college freeze petition or resolution last semester,” Barlera said. “So we want to show them that we’re not going away and that we care about this issue.”The University, however, has stressed that it strives to keep yearly price increases low, and that rising costs and increased demand for student services make tuition hikes unavoidable. In a letter to USG and GSG on March 10, Vice President of Student Affairs Ainsley Carry wrote that the University publishes its financial data online well before tuition increases take effect, but that it also recognizes the need for increased transparency and student involvement.“In direct response to the resolutions presented by the USG and GSG, I will commit the Division of Student Affairs to work with them on a memorandum of understanding to reinstate the Student Fee Advisory Committee,” Carry wrote in the letter. “This MOU will articulate the purpose and roles for the committee and its members, including the review of proposed fee increases and the communication of any year-over-year increases in tuition and fees.”According to Barlera, the information for the rally was mainly spread Sunday night through a Facebook group called “Stop USC Tuition Hikes.” For this particular rally, Barlera said that the goal was mainly to notify students about the recent raises in tuition.“This was mostly to try and raise awareness,” Barlera said. “A lot of people who saw us didn’t even know that tuition had gone up because USC hasn’t really told anyone.”At the rally, students such as Preston Fregia, a freshman majoring in political science, spoke about the potential long-lasting implications of continued tuition hikes and how this topic could be something that students can band together over.“This will affect us, your grandchildren, and everyone in this area,” Fregia said. “This is an issue that we can all have the same opinion on.”While students have already taken action by delivering letters into the administration, Barlera said that students are going to continue protesting until they elicit a formal response from the administration.“If the University continues to ignore us, we’re definitely going to do more,” Barlera said.
The Warriors earned a 129-127 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday with Curry and Durant making plays when they needed them the most. Curry scored 42 points while … CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos or video on a mobile device* * *Subscribe to the Mercury News and East Bay Times for $40 a year and receive a free Warriors championship coffee table book* * *OAKLAND – When all else fails, the Warriors can rely on Stephen Curry or Kevin Durant.
Former Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Sunday appeared all set to become Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha after his appointment as Leader of Congress in the Upper House.Anand Sharma, another minister in UPA-II, was made Deputy Leader of the party, Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.Since Congress has the requisite number to claim the post of Leader of the Opposition in the Upper House, 65-year-old Azad would be the natural choice.Congress has 67 members in the 245-member House, thereby meeting the requirement of having ten per cent of the total strength of the House to get the post of Leader of the Opposition.The two key appointments come on the back of the party making Mallikarjun Kharge, a senior Dalit leader from Karnataka, the Leader of Congress in Lok Sabha and former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh the party’s Deputy Leader in the Lower House.Azad, who contested the Lok Sabha election from Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir and lost by over 60,000 votes, is a party veteran and one of the senior most members in the Rajya Sabha.Congress has announced the name of its Chief Whip and whips in Lok Sabha, while the same for the Rajya Sabha are yet to be announced.Jyotiraditya Scindia, one of the two Congress MPs from Madhya Pradesh, was made the Chief Whip in Lok Sabha, while Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda’s son and lone MP from the state Deepender Singh Hooda and Kerala MP K C Venugopal were appointed as whips in the Lok Sabha.advertisementIn the Rajya Sabha, names of Azad, Digvijay Singh and Anand Sharma were doing rounds for the post of Leader of House.Dwivedi said, “The Chairperson of Congress Parliamentary Party Sonia Gandhi, exercising her authorisation by the Constitution of the Congress party in Parliament, has nominated Azad as Leader of Congress in Rajya Sabha and Anand Sharma as Deputy Leader.”
The closing date for nominations for the 2005 Arafura Games, being held in Darwin from May 14-21 is fast approaching. The Arafura Games is a leading international sporting competition for the developing athletes of the Asia-Pacific region. Held every two years in Darwin, the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory, the Games are a meeting of “Sporting Neighbours” and attract competitors from around Australia as well as nations throughout the Asia-Pacific region and beyond. The Arafura Games began in 1991 as the Arafura Sports Festival with seven countries sending just 1500 participants to compete in 13 sports. By the time the sixth Games were held in 2001, participation had soared to more than 3100 athletes representing 25 nations, and competing in 29 sports. “Countries can once again look forward to the friendly and competitive nature of the Arafura Games, the Territory’s superb sporting venues and the warmth of the welcome you will receive from Territorians,” said John Ah Kit, Minister for Sport and Recreation, in his Minister’s Message. For all of this info and more, check out www.arafuragames.nt.gov.au This is a great opportunity for local and regional Touch sides to get involved and play against some international competition. For more information on the Touch Football please contact Isobel Appo, [email protected] In other Northern Territory news, keep your eye on the ATA website for the results of their Championships, being held from April 29-May 1 and Darwin will also be hosting the National Secondary School and Primary School Championships from September 18-23.
Vitesse coach Slutsky reveals Musonda ‘bitter setback’by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveVitesse coach Leonid Slutsky has virtually wrote off the season of Chelsea midfielder Charly Musonda.On-loan at the Eredivisie outfit, Musonda has been missing since September with a knee injury – and Slutsky admits his recovery hasn’t gone to plan.”It does not look good,” he said.”Musonda will now be fit again at the earliest in February. But beware: then he has to be trained again to become a match fit. Then we talk about the end of March. “And then everything has to go as expected.”For all of us this is a bitter setback.” TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Real Madrid in contact with Genoa striker Krzysztof Piatekby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid are in contact with Genoa striker Krzysztof Piatek.AS says sources close to the player have confirmed the approach.This contact claimed that conversations have taken place between Real Madrid and the Genoa striker’s representatives and that the Bernabéu “is following him” closely.These same sources also stated that they have been talking with “many great clubs” that are interested in the 23-year-old.However confirmed that Barcelona was not amongst those clubs, and that, as of yet, no formal offer has been made by any clubs. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth boss Howe praises Stacey for winning debutby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe praised Jack Stacey for victory over Everton.Stacey was handed his Premier League debut.Howe said, “I thought Jack did really well. He was up against a really tough competitor in Alex Iwobi who is an outstanding player.“He was examined by him and responded every time. I thought he stepped up defensively and did a really good job for the team.“Usually, he’s a marauding full-back, up and down the line. But he knew he had to be responsible and defend first. He did it really well.“I was really pleased with him. It’s a huge moment for any player to make their debut in the Premier League. He’s done it in impressive fashion and was part of a winning team so credit to him.”