an attempt to contain the epidemic. During a radio broadcast, Fahngon warned journalists they would be arrested and Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns a threat by Liberia’s deputy informationminister to arrest any journalist found outside during curfew hours without a pass issuedby his ministry. This endangers journalists’ physical safety and their freedom to inform,RSF said. Covid-19 emergency laws spell disaster for press freedom threats to shut down media outlets that spread “fake news” and physical attacks, the state December 16, 2020 Find out more allow journalists to be outside during the 3pm – 6am curfew imposed by the government in @FrontPageAfrica Organisation of emergency proclaimed by Liberia’s government to combat the Covid-19 epidemic is proving to be a major headache for the country’s journalists. News doing their investigative reporting.” “Liberia has yet against demonstrated its propensity to obstruct journalists’ work at the whether the one issued by the union or the one given to them by their media outlet. Reports information ministry cannot use any pretext to arrest journalists and prevent them from to obstruct the media’s reporting. The PUL said it would not make journalists comply with the ministry’s new rules for Follow the news on Liberia Help by sharing this information May 19, 2020 Liberian minister threatens to arrest journalists during curfew hours News November 27, 2020 Find out more What with newspapers being forced to suspend print versions, the solicitor general’s RSF urges Liberian authorities to investigate threats against journalists height of the coronavirus crisis,” said Assane Diagne, the director of RSF’s West Africa The PUL denied the minister’s claim and accused him of taking a unilateral decision simply The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Fahngon and the Press Union of Liberia (PUL) clashed over the issuing of new passes that LiberiaAfrica Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesProtecting journalists Covid19EnvironmentJudicial harassment Liberia is ranked 95th out of 180 countries and territories in RSF’s Wold Press Freedom ranking established in 2020. obtaining a curfew pass and insisted they should just have to show their press card, office. “This measure is not only arbitrary but also dangerous for journalists’ safety. The RSF_en @RSF_Inter The minister accused the PUL of massively duplicating the passes he had already issued. prosecuted if they did not have his ministry’s press card. He also visited checkpoints in the The latest increase in tension came on 2 May after deputy information minister Eugene June 12, 2020 Find out more LiberiaAfrica Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesProtecting journalists Covid19EnvironmentJudicial harassment Receive email alerts News to go further capital, Monrovia, to tell police to arrest any journalist caught without a pass.
NewsLocal NewsCommunities in fear highlights need for garda stationsBy admin – January 29, 2013 651 Email AS GARDAI withdraw from the talks on a proposed extension to the Croke Park deal, and as fear begins to show throughout the country in light of the murder of det garda Adrian Donohue last week, TD’s, local representatives and the public at large are calling on Minister Alan Shatter to put a halt on the closure of 100 garda stations in Irleand, and six in Limerick. Willie O’Dea, Fianna Fail TD, has slammed the closure of Mary Street Garda station this week calling it “a dreadful decision by the Government. The fact that this is one of the oldest Garda stations in the country and is located in the heart of a regeneration area, parts of which in the past have been unfortunately associated with gangland activity, makes the decision all the more ludicrous.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Previously, councillor John Gilligan, said that the “garda retreat from the inner city is a worrying development”. Niall Collins, FF spokesperson on Justice has again called on Minister Shatter to “put aside his plan to close the garda stations, to cut resources and to further cut the member numbers. On Budget Day last December, as part of the Garda Consolidations programme, it was announced that districts would be merged and stations would close including six in Limerick. Galbally, Kilfinnane, Castletown/Conyers, Kilmeedy, Tournafoulla and the city centre station at Mary Street. Niall Collins said that; “The Minister sneakily announced this slash and burn on Budget day, hoping it seems that people wouldn’t pay too much attention. He is sorely mistaken. Removing the garda presence from our communities on such a large-scale at a time when the rate of burglaries has increased makes absolutely no sense. The presence of a local garda station, however small, acts as a deterrent to criminals who target vulnerable households. “Limerick has fared one of the worst in Minister Shatter’s hit list. We will have 6 less garda stations and many of our communities will have lost their local station. Minister Shatter countered that; “It is, of course, previous Fianna Fail led Governments which are responsible for the financial disaster that has impacted on the State and has so severely effected the lives of everyone who resides in the State”, adding that it was the previous Government that agreed with the Troika the expenditure reductions and reductions in Garda numbers.“If I were Deputy Niall Collins, I would refrain from making hypocritical comment and engaging in self-serving disingenuous political rhetoric based on the assumption that the general public is suffering from amnesia. It is time that he acknowledged that it is his Party that is responsible for the position in which we find ourselves”.But as the political football continues to be kicked around, Deputy O’Dea reminded that the fear of gang reprisals and an upsurgance is still very real according to his information. “As I have stated previously, it is my understanding that some of the remnants of the gangs in Limerick are getting together in an attempt to re-establish themselves to their former strength and with the closure of Garda stations like Mary Street combined with the reduction in overall Garda numbers, this could bring the gangland problem right back to where it was a few years ago.“Lets not forget, that it was as a result of long hours of painstaking policing by Gardai, including those based at Mary St, that the problem has thankfully abated in recent times, but as we witnessed with the callous murder of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe in Louth last weekend, gangland crime is a constant threat to society.“Since 2011, Limerick has lost 40 members of An Garda Síochána who have not been replaced and there are no Detective Inspectors at all in the Limerick division and there is a reduction of 18 in the number of Sergeants.”Deputy O’Dea concluded, “The closure of Mary street Garda station is another open invitation from Minister Alan Shatter to potential gangland kingpins to takeover where predecessors left off. The underhand, dishonest way in which these cuts are being foisted upon An Garda Síochána tells us all we need to know about Mr. Shatter and his priorities. At a time when we should be maintaining all Garda stations and Garda strength in Limerick, we are now facilitating criminals to once again potentially gain the upper hand.” Facebook Advertisement Previous articleLimerick models launch new Gathering stampNext articleUL well beaten in Sigerson Cup admin Twitter Print WhatsApp Linkedin
Twitter Latest word about coronavirus cases from Indiana State Department of Health Hoosiers are urged to be on alert for phishing scams or fraudulent emails, especially those pretending to be from the CDC or offering testing or vaccination, and verify that any charity seeking your assistance is legitimate before donating. Consumers who believe they may have been the victim of a scam can contact the Indiana Attorney General’s Office at https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2434.htm.The CDC has issued guidance regarding cleaning surfaces in a household with a resident who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19. Pinterest Facebook (Photo supplied/Indiana State Department of Health) The number of Hoosiers who have tested presumptively positive for COVID-19 remains unchanged at 12 as announced earlier today by Indiana State Department of Health. This number reflects tests performed at ISDH, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and those submitted by private laboratories.The individuals with positive tests reside in Marion, St. Joseph, Hendricks, Adams, Boone, Howard, Johnson and Noble counties. All but one are adults.ISDH continues to work with local health departments to identify close contacts of the existing patients and ensure that infection-control protocols, such as self-isolation and monitoring for symptoms, are implemented.Other developments:The ISDH lab has received additional testing supplies from the CDC and continues to prioritize individuals who are at high risk.Individuals who do not meet those criteria are encouraged to consult their healthcare provider about private testing. Most people with COVID-19 will develop mild symptoms and do not need to be tested. WhatsApp By 95.3 MNC – March 14, 2020 0 262 Pinterest Google+ The ISDH call center is experiencing extremely high call volume, receiving more than 1,000 calls from 8 a.m. Thursday to 8 a.m. Friday.The ISDH general call center number is 317-233-7125. Calls after 8 p.m. should go to 317-233-1325 and will be answered by an on-call epidemiologist. Call center staff will not offer personal medical advice or provide test results. If you are sick, consult your healthcare provider. The Indiana Family and Social Services Administration’s Division of Mental Health and Addiction has posted guidance for mental health providers to help them assist Hoosiers during this outbreak. The guidance can be found here. The CDC also is providing guidance for individuals who are having difficulty coping during this time.Since Jan. 28, 142 Indiana travelers have been monitored for symptoms of COVID-19, which include cough, fever and shortness of breath, due to recent travel to an impacted country.Hoosiers are encouraged to continue to sign up at https://on.in.gov/COVID19 to receive alerts and the latest updated guidance as the outbreak evolves WhatsApp Google+ CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Twitter Facebook Previous articleMayor Mueller send questions to special prosecutor in charge of Eric Logan shootingNext articleMichigan coronavirus cases hit 25 as restrictions tighten 95.3 MNCNews/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel is your breaking news and weather station for northern Indiana and southwestern Michigan.
Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info Failed to fetch Error: URL to the PDF file must be on exactly the same domain as the current web page. Click here for more info
Anchored by Ryan Bailey, the United States defeated Usain Bolt and Jamaica in the 4×100 relay at the IAAF World Relays meet Saturday in Nassau, Bahamas.Bailey was running with Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay and Mike Rodgers, and the Americans posted a time of 37.38 seconds. Jamaica finished in 37.68, off its world-record 36.84 set at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.Only other U.S. and Jamaican teams have beaten the Americans’ 37.38 time.Jamiaca last lost a world championship final in 2007, at the Osaka Worlds.The U.S. also won the 4×800 finals with a time of 4:04.84.The American women’s distance medley relay won in 10:36.50, a new world record for the event. The American women also held a big lead in the 4×200 before two runners stumbled in a collision. Nigeria won in 1:30.52.