August 19, 2019 Governor Newsom signs bill to limit use of force by police Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Gov. Gavin Newsom today signed legislation co- authored by a San Diego lawmaker that redefines when law enforcement officers can use deadly force.AB 392, co-written by Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, D-San Diego, will hold law enforcement officers liable for homicide if an investigation finds the use of deadly force on a civilian was necessitated by the officer’s ownactions. Law enforcement will still be able to use deadly force as self- defense, but only when “necessary.”Weber co-authored the legislation, dubbed the California Act to Save Lives, with Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento. Sen. Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, introduced the bill in the state Senate.“We were told by so many that it could not happen and we had felt that we were at the brink of failure at one point in this whole process,” Weber said. “I felt the weight of the families. It’s been a difficult journey because they entrusted me with trying to make change. My greatest fear is that if we had failed, those who want to make change will never work to do it again.”Weber and McCarty introduced a similar bill last year after two Sacramento police officers shot and killed Stephon Clark, an unarmed black man, but it made little progress in the legislature. Weber said she battled with former Gov. Jerry Brown and opposition from law enforcement over the bill, even threatening a hunger strike last year.The two officers were not charged in Clark’s death. Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert ruled in March that they were legally justified in killing Clark because they said they felt they were in imminentdanger. The decision prompted public outcry and further inflamed the national conversation about police violence and its ties to race.“It’s one thing to sign a piece of paper, pass legislation,” Newsom said. “It’s another to change hearts and minds, to change culture. To change the way people conduct themselves, to hold themselves to a higher standard …That’s the work that we, collectively as a community, need to manifest at peril of missing this moment and missing the point of this moment.”At one time, AB 392 appeared stalled again amid unresolved tensions between state legislators and law enforcement officials. That tension dissolved when the two sides struck a deal in May to amend the bill by changing “reasonable” to “necessary” and removing language mandating officers to use lethal force only after using non-lethal alternatives.As a result of the deal, state law enforcement groups like the California Highway Patrol, Peace Officers Research Association of California and California State Sheriffs’ Association shifted their official stance on the bill from opposition to neutrality.A second piece of legislation, currently mired in the Assembly’s committee process, would require law enforcement agencies to train officers in accordance with AB 392. SB 230 would also standardize de-escalation trainingrequirements statewide in an effort to ensure all stakeholders are on the same page.SB 230 is supported, in part, by a coalition of PORAC, the California Police Chiefs and the California Association of Highway Patrols.“Together, AB 392 and SB 230 will modernize our state’s policies on the use of force, implementing the very best practices gathered from across our nation,” CPCA President Ron Lawrence said. “Once both bills are signed and take effect, the real work can begin using the training made available to officers by SB 230 to implement the AB 392 standard.”Whether SB 230 will become law in addition to AB 392 remains to be seen.In May, the San Diego City Council voted 6-2 in favor of a resolution supporting the bill. The previous month, the San Diego County Board of Supervisors voted to oppose the bill.Both votes came after contentious public hearings and opposition from local law enforcement organizations like the Deputy Sheriffs’ Association of San Diego County and the San Diego Police Officers Association, which argued that law enforcement agencies already have policies designed to keep law enforcement officers in check.AB 392 passed in the Senate 34-4, with four senators declining to record a vote, while the Assembly approved it 68-0 with 12 assembly members declining to vote.It will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2020. Posted: August 19, 2019
WILMINGTON, MA — Below is a round-up of what’s going on in Wilmington on Thursday, November 1, 2018:Happening Today:Weather: Showers likely, mainly between 11am and noon, then a chance of rain after noon. Patchy fog between 10am and 3pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 55. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.Early Voting: Early voting continues today! The Town of Wilmington is offering early voting, from 8:30am to 4:30pm, in the Town Hall Auditorium.In The Community: The Wilmington Health Department is hosting a Flu Clinic for Wilmington’s youth (ages 5-18) on Thursday, November 1, 2018, from 3:30pm to 5:30pm, at Wilmington Town Hall.This flu clinic is BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Register your child(ren) HERE.Here is what you need to know about the town’s flu clinics:Free of Charge.Nasal and Injectable will be available.Remember to bring your insurance cards.Vaccine will be available even if you do not have insurance.Anyone allergic to eggs or egg products must not take this vaccine.Anyone with a fever should delay vaccination.All minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.If you have a question, please contact the Wilmington Health Department at 978-658-4298.In The Community: Wilmington seniors are invited to a FREE Thanksgiving dinner at the Tewksbury/Wilmington Elks (777 South Street, Tewksbury). Doors open at 5pm. Dinner begins at 6:30pm. This annul event, sponsored by the Elks, will also feature raffle prizes and dancing. Interested seniors should reserve their free tickets at the Senior Center’s Front Desk. The Elks are holding a similar event for Tewksbury seniors the following week.In The Community: Wilmington Youth Soccer has organized its Second Annual “Treats For Troops” collection from Thursday, November 1, 2018 through Saturday, November 3, 2018 at the Shawsheen School Fields. (Collections will take place from 5pm to 6pm on Thursday and Friday, and 8:45am to 3pm on Saturday.) Wilmington Youth Soccer players are encouraged to donate their leftover Halloween candy. Candy should be placed in the marked boxes. Candy will be donated to Wellesley Dental Group’s 11th Annual Community Candy Drive, which benefits the U.S. Troops serving overseas. Have a question? Contact Bill Lanagan at wlanagan[at]thayer.org.In The Community: The Wilmington Community Chorus rehearses every Thursday, from 7pm to 9pm, at St. Elizabeth’s (4 Forest Street). New members welcome. No tryout required. Learn more HERE.At The Library: Thursday Baby Times at 9:30am. Time for Twos at 10:30am. LEGO Building at 3:45pm. Tech Buddies Drop-In at 6:30pm. Pints & Pages Book Group at 7pm. Jerry Thornton talks about his new Patriots book, “Five Rings” at 7pm. [Learn more and register HERE.]At The Senior Center: Walking Group at 8am. Art Class at 10am. Aerobics at 10:30am. Knitting/Crocheting at 11am. Game Day at 1pm. Ceramics at 1pm. [Learn more HERE.]At Town Museum: The Town Museum (430 Salem Street) is open from 10am to 2pm. Come explore Wilmington’s history. Free admission.(NOTE: What did I miss? Let me know by commenting below, commenting on the Facebook page, or emailing email@example.com. I may be able to update this post.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Monday, July 15, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Tuesday, September 3, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”The Wilmington Insider For October 23, 2018In “5 Things To Do Today”
WEST HARTFORD, CT — The University of Hartford is pleased to announce Joshua Buske, of Wilmington, has been named to its Dean’s List for Fall 2018.Spread across seven dynamic schools and colleges, the University of Hartford has been guiding the purpose and passion of students for over six decades. On our 350-acre campus alongside Connecticut’s capital city, approximately 5,000 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students from 48 states and 46 countries come together for a common purpose: to collaborate across different disciplines, diversify perspectives, and broaden worldviews. We’re a four-year private university focused on advancing the public good through meaningful connections within our communities. Our unique approach to comprehensive education gives us the critical perspectives that lead to impactful change, regionally and beyond. With degree programs spanning the arts, humanities, business, engineering and technology, education, and health professions, we focus on doing the work that matters.(NOTE: The above announcement is from the University of Hartford via Merit.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Wilmington’s Joshua Buske Named To Dean’s List At University Of HartfordIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Wilmington’s Joshua Buske Named To Dean’s List At University of HartfordIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Wilmington’s Joshua Buske Named To Dean’s List At University Of HartfordIn “Education”
Coal is stockpiled at the Blair Athol mine in the Bowen Basin coalfield near the town of Moranbah, Australia, June 1, 2012 (representational image).Reuters fileIndian conglomerate Adani Group finally inched closer to secure loans from China in order to build a 388-kilometre rail link, which is an integral part of its proposed Rs 1.07-lakh crore ($16.5-billion) Carmichael coal mine project in Australia.”Adani Group is close to securing finance with an announcement expected in coming weeks that Chinese state-owned enterprises, banks, and export credit agencies are backing the venture,” the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) reported.The company further said: “However, this does not negate the need for support from the Federal and State governments including a Northern Australian Infrastructure Facility (NAIF) loan—every cent of which will be repaid by Adani with interest.”Adani’s coal mine project has been facing serious roadblocks since the inception of the project. Not just financial, but even protests from rights groups. It is over seven years now that the coal mining projects have been stalled by the environment, conservationist and indigenous groups over concerns on global warming and damaging the ecology of Great Barrier Reef.Recently several protests were staged in different parts of Australia against Adani Enterprises’ proposed Carmichael coal mine in Central Queensland.The demonstrations were organised by the Stop Adani Alliance, which is an umbrella organisation for more than 40 groups. The alliance on their website said: “Adani is pulling out all the tricks to build its mega coal mine that will trash indigenous rights, wreck the climate and prop up a boom-bust economy.”For this latest development, the company said, “The purpose of NAIF is to provide loans for economic infrastructure and, again, every cent of this loan will be repaid with interest. The infrastructure Adani is building will be common user infrastructure and will be able to be used by other projects creating opportunities for further jobs and investment.”Earlier last month, the Australian federal ministers had written a formal letter to the Chinese government to confirm that the controversial coal project had passed all necessary environmental approvals, reported ABC.