Xiaomi Redmi 4 India launch set for May 16, price likely to be around Rs 8,000

first_imgXiaomi will launch the Redmi 4 in India on May 16. The device is expected to be a budget phone with price expected to be around Rs 8,000 that will make it one of the most expensive phones launched under the Redmi series. At the same time it will also mean that the Xiaomi Redmi 4 will be probably the cheapest phone in India with Snapdragon 625 processor.To recall, the Xiaomi Redmi 4 was first announced back in China last November. This smartphone is the successor of the previously launched Redmi 3 and Redmi 3S phone. Xiaomi a few days ago teased about the coming of a new Redmi phone in the Indian market on the official Xiaomi India Twitter handle. The tweet read: “Announcing the launch of a new Redmi smartphone! Want to know more? Stay tuned. #PowerInYourHand” Although Xiaomi didn’t confirm the name of the upcoming smartphone in India, India Today Tech has learnt that it is Redmi 4.Also Read: Xiaomi Redmi 4 to be launched in India soon, hints company teaserThe Xiaomi Redmi 4 uses an all-metal unibody design. It also has a fingerprint scanner at the rear panel. Not to forget, Redmi 4 predecessors – Redmi 3 and Redmi 3S — also sport almost similar looks. Also, on the display front, the Xiaomi Redmi 4 looks a lot like the Redmi Note 4 that was launched earlier in India.The Redmi 4 features smaller bezels and comes packed with a 5-inch 1080p display. Further, the smartphone is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor. We must say that a smartphone under Rs 8,000 with such a Snapdragon 625 processor seems like a decent phone, given other bits about it are equally good.advertisementIn terms of specifications, the Xiaomi Redmi 4 comes with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage. The storage can be further expanded up to 128GB via microSD card. Chances are that Xiaomi may also launch the smartphone in a cheaper variant, which will come with a Snapdragon 430 CPU, 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage.On the camera front, the Xiaomi Redmi 4 features a 13-megapixel camera on the back, while on the front the device fits a 5-megapixel selfie shooter. The device runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow-based MIUI and is backed by a 4,100mAh battery.Also Read: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 review: Raising the barAs far as the pricing is concerned, the Redmi 4 with Snapdragon 430 was announced in China at a price of CNY 699, which is expected to cost around Rs 6,905 in India. On the other hand, the 3GB RAM with Snapdragon 625variant of the Redmi 4 was launched at CNY 899, which in India could be priced around Rs 8,888.Xiaomi India VP and Managing Director, Manu Kumar Jain also shared a tweet on his official Twitter handle on the Redmi 4 India launch. The tweet reads: “Announcing the launch of a new Redmi phone! This will be the 2nd BIG announcement of the month. Coming soon. Stay tuned #PowerInYourHand.” The power in the tweet hints at Qualcomm Snapdragon 625.last_img read more

Judge rejects bid to designate father who killed his 3 children as

first_imgNEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. – A man who underwent a psychotic break and murdered his three children as they lay asleep in their beds does not pose enough of a threat to the public to be labelled high risk, a British Columbia Supreme Court judge has found.Justice Martha Devlin said Thursday that while Allan Schoenborn continues to struggle with serious anger management issues, the deaths of his children relate to his mental health problems, which have lessened since he started treatment while in custody following his conviction in 2010.“Without his mental disorder, Mr. Schoenborn would not have committed these abhorrent acts,” Devlin said.“Because his mental disorder is in remission, there is no basis on which to conclude that Mr. Schoenborn is highly likely to cause grave physical and psychological harm.”Devlin buttressed her ruling with references to Schoenborn’s current mental condition and the opinions of psychiatric experts, all of which she said point to the low likelihood of a relapse.A designation of high-risk accused would have barred Schoenborn from escorted outings into the community and would have extended the time between his review board hearings from one to three years.Schoenborn killed his 10-year-old daughter Kaitlynne and sons, Max and Cordon, aged eight and five, in the family’s home in Merritt in April 2008. He was eventually found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.The murder trial heard Schoenborn was experiencing psychosis at the time of the killings and believed he was saving his children from sexual and physical abuse, though no evidence suggested this was the case.Stacy Galt, a cousin of Schoenborn’s ex-wife, buried her face in her hands and sobbed as Devlin read her judgment.Speaking outside court, Galt questioned the decision.“If Allan won’t be high-risk designation then who will qualify for high-risk designation?” she said, her hands and voice shaking as she cried.“Our fear is real. What he did was heinous. And he shouldn’t be able to walk the streets. He should be in care for the rest of his life.”Mike Clarke, Schoenborn’s former brother-in-law, read a statement written by his sister, Darcie Clarke.In it, Schoenborn’s ex-wife described the judge’s decision as “shameful” and “disappointing,” and said the justice system had failed her and her family.Schoenborn’s lawyer, Rishi Gill, said the decision should not be considered a victory for his client.Schoenborn is being properly managed in a psychiatric facility, his psychosis is under control and he doesn’t fit the definition for a high risk accused person, Gill said.“The question that was decided today was strictly about, ‘Is Mr. Schoenborn the type of risk that needs the high-risk designation,’ ” he said.“At no point has Mr. Schoenborn’s team either applied for release or has he been given release, and that’s not going to change. Until he shows a certain amount of improvement there is no danger for him being released.”Schoenborn’s case gained notoriety after former prime minister Stephen Harper singled him out when he introduced a law creating the high-risk designation for mentally ill offenders in 2013. The designation has yet to be successfully applied.Alisia Adams, a spokeswoman for B.C. Prosecution Service, says the Crown will need some time before deciding whether to file an appeal.— Follow @gwomand on TwitterNote to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version contained an incorrect spelling for Justice Martha Devlin.last_img read more