Laura Dern, musician boyfriend tie the knot

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Actress Laura Dern and her longtime musician boyfriend Ben Harper were married Friday in a sunset ceremony filled with Christmas decorations, the magazine US Weekly reported on its Web site. Dern, 38, and Harper, 36, tied the knot before an altar decorated with Christmas trees and candles in front of more than 150 friends and family, according to the magazine. The ceremony took place at an L.A. mansion formerly owned by actor Gregory Peck. The two began dating in 2000 and became engaged in September 2004. They have two children together, son Ellery 4, and daughter Jaya, 1. It is the first marriage for Dern and the second for Harper, who won a Grammy for pop instrumental performance earlier this year for his song “11th Commandment.” Dern’s film credits include “Rambling Rose,” “Jurassic Park” and “Wild at Heart.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remakelast_img read more

Cristiano Ronaldo responds to rape allegations: Truth always comes first

first_imgCristiano Ronaldo said he was unfazed by rape allegations against him and added he and his lawyers were confident of proving his innocence in the matter. This is first time that Ronaldo has spoken to the press about the allegations.Ronaldo, who is in Manchester for a Champions League group match with Juventus against his former club Manchester United, said he was confident the truth will come out in the case.Ronaldo has been accused of rape in the United States. An American woman filed a civil lawsuit last month in Nevada claiming Ronaldo raped her in his Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Police also reopened an investigation into the allegation at her request.Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter S. Christiansen, issued a statement on October 10 denying wrongdoing by his client.”I’m not going to lie in this situation,” Ronaldo said at a news conference ahead of a Champions League match between his Italian team, Juventus, and former club Manchester United at Old Trafford on Tuesday. “I’m very happy. My lawyers, they are confident and of course I am, too. The most important, is I enjoy football, I enjoy my life. The rest, I have people who take care of my life.”Of course, the truth is always coming in the first position.”Also read – It will be tough but we have our weapons, says Ronaldo ahead of Manchester United clashUpon being pressed, Ronaldo said, “You didn’t listen to what I say. I am a happy man. We did the statement two weeks ago, if I’m not wrong. I am glad [about the progress in the case].”advertisementChristiansen declined comment. Attorneys Leslie Mark Stovall and Larissa Drohobyczer, representing Mayorga, did not immediately respond to messages.Ronaldo previously had confronted the allegations in an Instagram live video posted October 3, hours after the suit was filed.”Fake. Fake news,” the five-time world player of the year said at that time.Christiansen has branded documents that led to media reports about the rape claim “complete fabrications” and asserted that the encounter in a Las Vegas hotel penthouse bedroom was consensual. Attorneys for Mayorga have challenged Ronaldo’s legal team to prove that documents are false.Ronaldo, earlier, had also taken to Twitter to firmly deny the accusations and said this was done by “people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.”I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) October 3, 2018My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) October 3, 2018Ronaldo joined Juventus in the offseason from Real Madrid. He has scored five goals in nine matches for the Italian champions and two in three matches since the accusations were made.Asked about his status as a football role model, the 33-year-old Ronaldo said Monday: “I know I am an example. I know, 100 percent. On the pitch and outside the pitch. So I am always smiling, I am happy man. I’m blessed that I play in a fantastic club, I have a fantastic family, I have four kids, I am healthy. I have everything.””So the rest, it doesn’t interfere on me,” he added, before saying with a smile: “I’m very, very well.”Ronaldo is returning to Old Trafford for the second time since leaving United to join Real Madrid in 2009. The first time was for the second leg of a Champions League last 16-match between United and Madrid in 2013, when he was given a standing ovation by United fans and introduced as the “magnificent seven” – a reference to the number he had at the English club. Ronaldo scored the winning goal that night, eliminating United.Ronaldo has won the Champions League five times, once with United in 2008 and then at Madrid in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.”I remember what it was like in Manchester. My history, we won lots of trophies, cups, leagues and the Champions League. I remember the support of the fans. (Then-United manager) Sir Alex (Ferguson) is someone I will never forget. He was a huge lift in my career.”When I knew we were playing Manchester United, it was a huge thing for me.”(With AP inputs)last_img read more

Judge rejects bid to designate father who killed his 3 children as

first_imgNEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. – A man who underwent a psychotic break and murdered his three children as they lay asleep in their beds does not pose enough of a threat to the public to be labelled high risk, a British Columbia Supreme Court judge has found.Justice Martha Devlin said Thursday that while Allan Schoenborn continues to struggle with serious anger management issues, the deaths of his children relate to his mental health problems, which have lessened since he started treatment while in custody following his conviction in 2010.“Without his mental disorder, Mr. Schoenborn would not have committed these abhorrent acts,” Devlin said.“Because his mental disorder is in remission, there is no basis on which to conclude that Mr. Schoenborn is highly likely to cause grave physical and psychological harm.”Devlin buttressed her ruling with references to Schoenborn’s current mental condition and the opinions of psychiatric experts, all of which she said point to the low likelihood of a relapse.A designation of high-risk accused would have barred Schoenborn from escorted outings into the community and would have extended the time between his review board hearings from one to three years.Schoenborn killed his 10-year-old daughter Kaitlynne and sons, Max and Cordon, aged eight and five, in the family’s home in Merritt in April 2008. He was eventually found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.The murder trial heard Schoenborn was experiencing psychosis at the time of the killings and believed he was saving his children from sexual and physical abuse, though no evidence suggested this was the case.Stacy Galt, a cousin of Schoenborn’s ex-wife, buried her face in her hands and sobbed as Devlin read her judgment.Speaking outside court, Galt questioned the decision.“If Allan won’t be high-risk designation then who will qualify for high-risk designation?” she said, her hands and voice shaking as she cried.“Our fear is real. What he did was heinous. And he shouldn’t be able to walk the streets. He should be in care for the rest of his life.”Mike Clarke, Schoenborn’s former brother-in-law, read a statement written by his sister, Darcie Clarke.In it, Schoenborn’s ex-wife described the judge’s decision as “shameful” and “disappointing,” and said the justice system had failed her and her family.Schoenborn’s lawyer, Rishi Gill, said the decision should not be considered a victory for his client.Schoenborn is being properly managed in a psychiatric facility, his psychosis is under control and he doesn’t fit the definition for a high risk accused person, Gill said.“The question that was decided today was strictly about, ‘Is Mr. Schoenborn the type of risk that needs the high-risk designation,’ ” he said.“At no point has Mr. Schoenborn’s team either applied for release or has he been given release, and that’s not going to change. Until he shows a certain amount of improvement there is no danger for him being released.”Schoenborn’s case gained notoriety after former prime minister Stephen Harper singled him out when he introduced a law creating the high-risk designation for mentally ill offenders in 2013. The designation has yet to be successfully applied.Alisia Adams, a spokeswoman for B.C. Prosecution Service, says the Crown will need some time before deciding whether to file an appeal.— Follow @gwomand on TwitterNote to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version contained an incorrect spelling for Justice Martha Devlin.last_img read more

32yearold man dead following house fire in Yellowknife RCMP say

first_imgYELLOWKNIFE — Police say a 32-year-old man has died following a house fire in Yellowknife.RCMP in the Northwest Territories say they were called to the burning home shortly after 8 p.m. on Friday.They say the man was found inside and taken to hospital, where he died.Police say a 28-year-old woman and two children were able to leave the home, they don’t have any information about their well-being.Mounties say they’re investigating the blaze along with the Northwest Territories Office of the Fire Marshal and the Coroner Service.The Canadian Presslast_img read more